Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Not me

Neither did I like the separates or integrated amp versions made by the major companies of the 1970s.

I agree, they were much the same sonically as their top-end receivers. I tried many via purchase and by borrowing from a great dealer, who let me take components home for several days on trial. If a component was missing from the dealer's shelves it was likely at my house!

Some of the brands that come to mind are H.H. Scott, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, and Technics. The receivers' FM tuners were usually fine but the preamp/amp sections were disappointing. I liked a top-end Yamaha a bit (whichever model was made in 1976), but mostly for its elegant faceplate.

I never had an opportunity to try a Sherwood receiver. I would especially have liked to hear a Marantz 18. I did own a Marantz 1250 integrated amp and a Marantz 150 'scope tuner. Both were big letdowns. I am still curious about the sonics of the Harman/Kardon 930 receiver.

For me, it was a shocking revelation when I brought home an Audible Illusions Uranus tube preamp and a Beard (from Britain) 100 watt/channel KT88 tube power amp. I think that was 1984 or 1985. The combination made glorious music. They sounded so beautiful together that I used the pair for about 17 years. I still own the preamp and use it occasionally.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not me - Alex F. 21:23:21 03/12/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.