Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Not me

What were some of the makes and models you had. More than a few were comprised of the companies' separate components with the only compromise being in the power supply and possibly flexibility.

A couple that immediately come to mind are the Marantz 18, 19, Sherwood SEL-300, Sony STR 6120 and STR6200. These sound the same as their separate components almost to a T. Usually the differences will be power and ultimate background noise levels.

I am not disputing your claim as I have usually found as a general rule separates of similar quality in design and construction will be better than an integrated amp and tuner against a receiver.

Tubes are a whole different thing and jamming so many tubes and high voltage ac on one chassis will raise havoc in relation to the same designs but on multiple chassis.

As for comparing the $89 receiver to vintage, my only comment is that I for the most part have an ear bleed when there are ICs in the circuit. Seems really difficult to voice them and make even decent ones sound good. I particularly have not ever found a digital tuner that I can listen to for any length of time. Not totally abnormal for me as I also have problems listening to digitized music.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not me - Brian Levy 14:24:42 03/12/14 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.