Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

The comparison I would like to see

Someone here surely thinks they have good enough ears that they can pick out subtle differences in the sound of amplifiers and hear subtle differences that matter. Surely here there are also people who have favorite solid state receivers from the 1970s.

I was wandering through the Best Buy site and saw they had the Insignia 2.0 Stereo receiver on sale this week for the paltry sum of $89. That is less than some of you guys spend on your speaker wire!

What I would like to see here is a serious comparison by one or two of you of the sound of this receiver in comparison with whatever beloved 70s solid state receiver you have. I think this would be a bit much for the tube guys here.

This would cost you $89 to attempt, Like I say, less than you may have spent on your speaker wires. The unit even has mag phono inputs so you can plug in your favorite turntable.

Actually, I should say up front that I do have experience with this receiver. A buddy of mine had an old stereo and the receiver was clearly not working. He wanted to get the stereo going again and I was charged with the task of figuring out how to do this at the lowest possible cost. I wandered into Best Buy and found this receiver in open box marked $49, and so I called him on my cell phone and got permission to buy it. It worked pretty well tho I did have to come up with a replacement for the FM antenna that was not in the box. No problem.

I have an older post on all of this somewhere here.

I think you guys would find this interesting and you might even change your mind just a little about the relative merits of new versus vintage gear!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - The comparison I would like to see - DavidLD 09:02:07 03/12/14 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.