Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Need tube integrated recommendations - sleepers welcome!

The budget and speakers can help in making a meaningful suggestion.

On a tight budget, I would suggest looking for one of the lesser known Japanese imports such as from Philmore or Calrad. They were quite small, easy to build and restore. Most used the 6bm8 for outputs. Also, quite inexpensive generally to pick up. In a little larger size and usually needing a cabinet build look for a pair of the Grommes Little Jewel amps. Most were mono, but at the end of their production they did have a stereo version. These were produced over it seems forever and depending on vintage with a number of different tube compliments. These as a group were a little more powerful than the afore mentioned Japanese amps.

I really like the Dynaco SCA35, a favorite but after getting one, they generally unless very gently used will require fairly expensive investments. The small EICO likely would be a better choice.

What player will she be using? I might suggest something that is not soft sprung such as an AR, and maybe with an automatic function for setdown, lift and shutoff. A belt drive might be better than a puck drive to avoid her not shutting it down right and flattening the puck, maybe something like a BIC 980. As for a cartridge, I would suggest something that a DJ would use as they tend to be able to take more abuse, such as a Stanton 500 series or low end Grado.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Need tube integrated recommendations - sleepers welcome! - Brian Levy 16:57:19 03/09/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.