Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Review of Sherwood S-5000 rebuilt by Mike Samra

Before I start I want to make two points VERY clear. If I make a less than favorable remark about one stereo, this does NOT mean I am condemning it. It is only a compare or point out a difference.

When I first listen or get a new stereo my brain works in reverse. I seem to want to find a reason NOT to like it first. Why - because I want another stereo!

When I first started listening to the Sherwood I had to work out what ohm speaker tap I liked and what level to tune the subwoofer. Once those details were worked out - away I went! Oh yeah, did I mention this vintage amp has a subwoofer tap.

After a few hours I started to notice the subtle differences between this and my $3k new SS setup. The big differences were like a smack in the face (in a good way). The entire frequency response is very full and very dynamic. No weak spots here. You can really feel and hear the punch of even the background instruments. Something I rarely hear with SS stereo. The last time I heard that was with my Dynaco ST-70 amp. May it rest in peace where ever it is.

The separation is great. Very nice wide separation of channels and instruments. Even in very complex orchestral pieces. There is a nice depth to the music. I wouldn't call it 3D but more "real". Like you are really there. SS tends to have a 3D quality. Instruments have a more velvety quality. Even the background instruments. SS tends to be a little more "crisp". And here is were the two differ. SS tends to be very detail oriented. The Sherwood is not as detailed as SS. I can't explain this very well - but it also has detail but only in a different way. It has a very detailed musical presentation. It sounds like music. Also again I can't put this into words very well. But it sounds very organic - like music was supposed to sound.

I guess I'll wrap it up here since I can't seem to get this into less than 3 pages.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Review of Sherwood S-5000 rebuilt by Mike Samra - airtime 10:36:14 03/09/14 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.