Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: EBay bargains still out there

I am seeing an overall trend in the opposite direction. Even 1 page magazine ripouts are trying to be sold for the prices the advertised pieces sold for only a few years ago. I have even seen the asking price exceeding the going price of the pieces.

I have been looking for manuals on a couple of Sherwood pieces and the couple I have seen are going for about 50% of the selling prices of the actual units. One seller even has the Make Best Offer option but when you try to use it, it kicks back that he is not acceptin best offers at this time.

And then between eBay's new overheard charges system such as charging a fee attached to international shipping that does not go to the seller and does not cover customs fees charged to the buyer and the new shipping calculator that seems to be charging about 50% more than actual rates and to top it off, the USPS new rates makes almost any international buying off eBay prohibitively expensive unless there is an absolute need for an item or the buyer is well, ....

Some of the quoted mailing rates for a flat pack for a 2 page 8x10" document are in the $15-20 range. Then eBay is tacking on broker fees but this is not to cover the seller's costs nor paid to shipper's to cover any broker's fees they may charge for their services.

I am hoping eBay gets hit by the government for business practices and being a monopoly as their are few other auction sites and eBay has probably 98% of that market. Would love to see them be required to sell off PayPal and have to rollback the restrictive payment options it imposes.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.