Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: ohhhh, I'm thick

Correct, sober 1. You're replacing stock 3 uf with two separate caps with two different x-over points. Roughly 4,229 hz for 4.7 uf cap, & roughly 9,034 hz for 2.2 uf cap. Jensens have smooth bass-to-midrange tonal transition, and the 4.7 uf cap integrates tweet response near the Jensen's upper frequency range (which is usually around 5 khz; btw, Sansui's two-way AS-100 speakers use a single 4.7 uf x-over cap with their Coral alnico drivers). You'll get sparkle from the 2.2 uf cap on upper tweet. Changed 3.3 uf x-over caps in a pair of Cerwin Vegas to 4.7 uf, which are paired with 12" replacement Electro Voice Forces (stock Pyle Drivers were shot). EV Forces have a frequency response up to 7 khz, but stock CV tweets just sounded better with 4.7 uf x-over caps. This retired printer was raised as an efficiency fiend, with a guitar-slinger's "get thy tone from thy amp" mind-set. Your Heaths already sound exquisite as is; merely suggesting a little tonal sweetening of their alnico magic. Try modding one speaker & compare it to stock. Difference should be quite an ear opener. 73s para Sactown!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.