Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Tomorrow is a big day

I had years ago a pair of W70Ds and used them for a couple of years before giving them to my brother along with a Marantz 19 as a dorm system when he went to Hofsta U in Long Island. Seems he was rather popular as a result.

I have heard numerous Wharfedales with the older drivers in the W70s and have felt for years Biggs' design rivaled Rudy Bozak's. I especially loved the midrange and SuperTweeter and well know what it should sound right when the system is correctly working.

I gave up and sold all my tube pieces some time ago. But, all is not lost as my Sherwood S3300 and S9500c 1st gen SS tuner and amp almost the same as my S3000IV and S5000II tube tuner and amp. I had always thought McIntosh had done the best job in emulating their signature tube voicing in their early ss units but, after hearing the Sherwoods have decided the good old boys at Sherwood came even closer and that is a VERY good thing. And, while the faceplates are the same as the tube units, they were not painted and the finish seems iron hard so, no wear.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.