Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

it just seems to me that over the last few years especially much of the focus has moved away from the pursuit

Jim
I think some of that comes from the fact that we are living in a society of convenience.I have people tell me all the time that they know tube amps and vinyl records produce much more realism than CDs,streaming,and solid state amps but they don't want to deal with the inconvenience of changing tubes and cleaning records along with the added expense that comes with it.

This is a hobby where I would like to think we at least strive for perfection in audio.I had at least six people locally tell me why I was crazy for running 50 year old citation amps on 26k dollar modern reference ESL speakers.One of the guys has the same Martin Logan CLX speakers that I have and he is running Krell mono blocks on them..I invited him over about six months ago and he was silenced by what he heard because he was so shocked at the correctness and the staging of the system.He immediately started looking for a pair of Deuces and he was able to find one, so he calls me about a month ago and asked if I would sell one of my rebuilt citation 2s? I said David,what I am supposed to use if I sell you one of my Citations? Hell,you have all those other tube amps you can use..He acted like he was joking but he really wanted to buy one of my amps and then wants me to rebuild the other he has to match mine.I told him there are plenty of them on Ebay and Audiogon...I have four of them..Two run the ESLS and the others are spares more or less.I had no idea he was looking for a pair until one of our local groupies told me.
Then there was another guy that heard them and he ended up buying a pair of citation 5s to run on his Quad 2905s.
It goes to show that when you have speakers that are fast with low distortion and are highly accurate,you are going to want equipment that complements it..I heard the Krells on Dave's speakers and they were clean but they put you to sleep.In other words they were lifeless and boring.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 03/02/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • it just seems to me that over the last few years especially much of the focus has moved away from the pursuit - Michael Samra 19:30:51 03/02/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.