Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Which System . . .

If none of us were present when the material was recorded, any judgement on fidelity is based on playback using a particular system. If, if fact, you were present during the recording process, the next question becomes "how good is your audio memory"? Can you remember exactly how something sounded years later? And, yes, most recordings are "engineered" to sound a particular way. Not all, but most. The goal is rarely to reproduce a performance exactly. Not never, but rarely.

So, if we accept that the accurate reproduction of the recording is the goal, who decides which system serves as the "control", against which other systems are judged, in determining how faithfully a recording is reproduced? If faithful, distortion free, reproduction is based on measurements using testing equipment then wouldn't we all be listening to SS equipment?

I love, and am inspired by, music and great songs. I enjoy their reproduction on some systems and combinations of components more than others. Listeners may compare playback on a variety of systems and rank them differently. Is only one listener "right" about the question of which is the most accurate system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.