Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Michael S., about your by-line.....

"There is only one thing wrong with your argument Jim, and that is we are totally unable to reproduce the listening environment in which these recordings were made."

I don't agree Vinnie. Maybe we can't exactly duplicate the environment, but we get enough ambient info in good systems that we can tell the difference between halls/recording studios/etc.

But what is so important to realize is that NONE of the above really applies if what we are trying to do is to faithfully reproduce the recorded material supplied to us. Changing the nature/tailoring of the recording is not "high fidelity". For us as listeners that recording is the "original" which we strive to reproduce with the highest level of fidelity in whatever our listening environment may be.

I can really enjoy listening to music in my car. It has a very good audio system in it - but it is by no means high fidelity. My home system offers excellent fidelity, not because it is more pleasing to listen to than in my car (although it is), but because it is more faithful to the source.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.