Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Summer will be here soon and garage and yard sales will be in full swing here every weekend, in my local area.

Hi Pojack, Crazy Dave is right on. Before p-mount cartridges came out, which was like late 70's to 1983 when Micheal Jacksons (Thriller) came out and pushed in the cd era,I'm sure p-mounts were still being produced after but in smaller numbers. There were some really good budget turntables that were built like tanks.The year I saw them all was when my freshman year at college 75/76. They had belt drives which belts claimed to absorb some of the vibrations that direct drives could introduce.Others will argue that direct drive is better, but look at the most exspensive turntables in the latest audio mags and most have belts. You can find them on e-bay for less than 100 bucks. These belt driven budget built like tank turntables were exiled to owners closets when cd's took over. Most of the owners who refind vinyl might have a 1000 bucks to buy a Rega-3 or a VPI Traveler. I have a Technics SL-20 I bought used in 77 and it still works perfectly. I'm going to get a Grado cartridge and get my records out of my closet and have fun again. The turntable is belt driven and I've seen every part needed on ebay,even new dust covers.The Technics SL-23 was better if you are a party guy, it had auto cueing and return in case you went nighty nite before the record finished saving stylus wear. Back then the turntables I'm going to list were about 100 dollars. About 250 dollars will buy you the same quality,new,today. The Music Hall turntables for example. For the amount you have to spend I would recommend scanning ebay every day looking for(Technics SL-20,23,Pioneer PL-112D,PL115D(auto return),Sansui SR222,Kenwood KP 1022). If you find one get a new cartridge and look at the new Pioneer speakers,not much over 100 dollars a pair that are getting rave reviews,the SP BS-22. Stereophile and the Absolute Sound love them, Best Buy. PS.A long time ago I went with skiing at Mt. Sutton in Quebec.Is that anywhere near you? And hows the cold? I live in Portland Me,it's bad,but nothing like Wisconsin,Minneapolis....take care and try some turntable hunting.....Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Summer will be here soon and garage and yard sales will be in full swing here every weekend, in my local area. - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 11:17:48 02/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.