Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Marantz Model 7 preamp: Shock mount replacement revisited

Several years ago I purchased a Model 7C preamp at a local estate sale. It was in excellent condition with the exception of the two upper shock mounts missing. Not just a case of the rubber cushions missing or deteriorated, but the studs and acorn nuts were also gone. They had been replaced by two long screws and rubber grommets. I searched the web for “off the shelf” replacements and soon gave up after not finding any that were suitable in terms of both size, function, and cosmetics. Fast forward to October 1. The “Marantz tube preamps” post by member unclestu reignited my search.

Here is the link:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/messages/21/218471.html

Within this thread, member Steve O stated that he purchased a set of mounts from McMaster Carr. The two issues that I have with these: 1) The rubber cushions are round, not square. 2) The studs need to be trimmed down.

I started a new search on the web and found a company named Stock Drive Products. Under their product listing of Vibration Mounts, there is a sub-category called Square Mounts. I found a set of mounts where the cushion size, stud length, and stud size (#8-32) matched the original Marantz mounts exactly. This comparison is based on examining and taking measurements of a friend’s Model 7 that he purchased new. The serial number is 19xxx. Plus I had the original single lower mount from my M7 for comparison. Anyway, I purchased two different sets from Stock Drive. One set had a slightly more compliant rubber cushion than the other. The part numbers are A10Z 1-322A (blue cushions) and A10Z 1-322B (brown cushions). I am including pictures of each in this post.

By the way, if I had the original hardware for my upper mounts (studs), I would probably rebuild them with new rubber or the frequently used cut-outs from a mouse pad.

The link for the Stock Drive Products mounts is: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Group/521

My Marantz Model 7C with 1 inch screw and rubber grommet

Picture of an original bottom shock mount from my friend's unmolested 7C (SN 19xxx)

Picture of an original top shock mount from my friend's 7C

Shock mounts from Stock Drive Products. Piece of a mouse pad on far right

Original studs next to new top mount before installation

Original studs next to new bottom mount before installation

New top mount after installation

New top mount 2nd view

New bottom mount after installation

New bottom mount 2nd view

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Marantz Model 7 preamp: Shock mount replacement revisited - DavidAlm 18:03:12 02/25/14 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.