Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: S.S Amp.Options To Drive Magnepan 1.7's

What kind of shape is your MC240 in? Has it been given a good going over?

The "McShane Treatment", as done by Mike Samra, squeezes every last drop out of old "Macs". It pays to remember that tube amps can be pushed up to just entering clipping safely. OTOH, SS amps need a margin of power, given that they clip "hard" and damage tweeters.

While power hungry, "Maggies" present a tube amp friendly "flat" 4 ohm load. Limited tube amp damping factor is not a problem.

I suspect the MC240, if in proper repair, will be quite satisfactory for a great deal of your music library. "Head banger" Rock and 19th Century "potboilers", like those penned by Liszt and Suppe, may be problematic. The rest should be fine, unless you like to knock plaster off the walls and ceiling.

BTW, a new AVA Synergy 300 is just inside your expense limits and should yield approx. 300 WPC into 4 ohms. Given it's 2 ohm stable, "flat" 4 ohm loads, like "Maggies", should be easy to handle. FWIW, I've owned AVA products for MANY years and find them to be HIGHLY satisfactory.

Eli D.

Edits: 02/24/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.