Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

ADS L1590-2 today?

So, how do you all think the ADS L1590 series 2 stacks up against today's offerings for, lets say, 2k and under new. Have improvements in driver and cabinet technology and design software made these venerable mid 80s speakers altogether obsolete? What would one have to pay for new full or nearly full range speakers to better the L1590/2's in overall speaker goodness. Feel free to break down what that involves, but for me, resolution, dynamic scale, and musicality trump pinpoint imaging and analytic accuracy. I am not looking for a vintage system or sound, but rather for the the best possible music reproduction/dollar. So in addition to new speakers, what used but newer that the ADS speakers give them a $4$ run. I have power and a reasonable amount of space. And I like proper listening levels, i.e., like at a good seat at the concert, whatever the music may be (but not like at concerts where they are trying in fact to set dbl record levels).

Chime in!
(I posted this to speaker asylum as well.)

Thanks!

Richard

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - ADS L1590-2 today? - Rnm4 14:10:07 02/20/14 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.