Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Tom Manley and Terry DeWick are top quality

When I was a kid during the 60's in Chicago, I lusted after the great looking McIntosh gear that I would see at audio stores. The stuff was way out of reach for me then. About 11 years ago I bought a MR-74 tuner from Tom Manley at McIntoshAudio, just to have a nice old McIntosh component with the cool green glass front in my system. It was listed as near mint on the McIntoshAudio website and it was better than that when it arrived. The refinished slant leg walnut cabinet looked like new, the tuner's glass faceplate was perfect (there were some small scratches on the silver knobs - you need a flashlight to see them), and the chassis interior and circuit boards were pristine. The tuner looked almost new. All lights and controls operated smoothly and functioned perfectly, including the tuning dial mechanism. It was shipped in bomb-proof packing and included a very high quality reproduction of the original owner's manual and a set of newly measured bench performance specs from Terry DeWick. And of course it sounded great (still does). It sits in a special place in my system setup and I love looking at it. Tom is a fully trustworthy guy who deals in first class refurbished equipment. He's a great guy to do business with. You are not taking any risk buying from him.

A few months ago, the tuner lost its stereo separation, producing only monoaural output. I took it to my local "authorized McIntosh repair center" who told me that the IF Cans needed to be replaced at a cost of perhaps $700. So, I sent it to Terry DeWick who fixed it by replacing a resistor and adjusting the MPX circuit. Total charge: $180 plus shipping. It sounds like new. Terry is the man for vintage audio repair and rebuilding.

So, if you are looking for a nice piece of vintage McIntosh gear, you can't go wrong with these fellows.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.