Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Mcintosh equipment

I have had 2 experiences with Audio Classics back in the early '90s, both positive.

I bought my MX110 Z series that was listed in very good condition B1 from memory and it arrived in a new Mc box and not a blemish on it. I was able to speak with Richard M who had gone through it prior to shipping and I asked about mods. In his opinion nothing could be done to a Z series that would make it noticeably better in any way. I agree with him the Z series may be as fine a tuner and preamp as there is.

A law firm client purchased an Audio Research D76a from them but it arrived poorly packed and there were consequences. The client asked me to handle the matter assuming he would need a lawyer to get satisfaction. I sent photos to Audio Classics along with the UPS report and disclaimer of liability due to poor packing and they agreed with the UPS adjuster. Audio Classics issued a full refund including shipping and a certificate against some future purchase. Audio Classics after requesting an email by me said they did not want the unit and the client could dispose of it. As I had a D76a as my main amp in my own system, I kept it as my fee figuring it could be a source for parts though the exterior was damaged and almost all the tubes were smashed; the boards, frame, etc. were good. I loaded it up with a spare set of tubes and it worked. I was able to get replacement parts from ARC though they did not physically quite match the originals or the parts on mine.

The client BTW bought a McIntosh MC2600 from them and it came in a new Mc shipping crate for a 2600. Later he also bought a MX110z and a MC225 from them.

I would very highly recommend them to buy from as they were honest, quick in followup and know their stuff. When spending the amounts Mc units go for, the premium paid to buy from them is not unreasonable considering the possible cost of buying a bargain and then sending off to get it working to spec.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

Edits: 02/21/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mcintosh equipment - Brian Levy 17:20:27 02/19/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.