Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Interest bit on dating Fender amp by serial number.

Per Superior Music site:

"Do you have a silverface Twin Reverb Amp or Dual Showman Reverb Amp with the serial number A23373? A lot of people do and here’s a plausible explanation based on the evidence. Sometime in 1970, Fender ordered a bunch of Twin Reverb/Dual Showman Reverb chasses from their supplier.

The machine that stamped the serial number into the back of the chassis got stuck on number A23373 and a lot of pieces were stamped with this number. It would have been very costly to destroy these units so two remedies were implemented. First, a foil sticker containing a 4-digit serial number was affixed to the chassis over the A23373.

Unfortunately, these often peeled off or were removed by the amp’s owner thus revealing the A23373 number. The second thing that was done was the addition of another number stamped into the chassis as a suffix to the A23373 serial number, e.g. A23373-155."

-------

I guess this also happened with 1971 era Vibrolux Reverb amps. I noticed this on the back of my amp, while I was testing it against my Bassman. The amp is an early 1971 VLR (as confirmed by speaker and tranny stamps).

Stamped number next to "A23845."

photo datingcode_zps834e260b.jpg

photo VLR_datingcode_zpsff69c471.jpg

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Interest bit on dating Fender amp by serial number. - FenderLover 07:28:50 02/19/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.