Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The closest I ever came...

...was back in the 70's when I changed out some el-cheapo "speaker wire" from Rat Shack and installed some 14 gauge SJO appliance power cord a friend gave me. He was in the custom cord making business and did a lot of business with the company I worked for.

I had changed out the cables and dressed everything out of sight. I had also borrowed the company's GenRad sound level meter with the octave band filters and had measured the before and after response which was significantly improved. Anyway, I was sitting there in the family room listening to a favorite record, when my oldest daughter walks in and says "Dad, what did you do to your stereo, it sounds much better."

That was probably the biggest single improvement I ever made, as nothing else was changed.

Not only was the "speaker wire" a small conductor, but it was also brittle. Bend a strand a couple of times and it would break off. So it was also not pure copper; but contaminated with something. So it probably conducted like it was an even smaller size, as it doesn't take much contamination to significantly reduce the conductivity of copper. Also, the runs were long, which made the problem a lot worse. The measured difference in the lower midrange, the speaker's lowest impedance point, was almost 2.5 dB.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The closest I ever came... - Bold Eagle 06:31:34 08/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.