In Reply to: How long did it take you? posted by ToddM on August 3, 2012 at 11:17:41:
Admittedly, many hours over the course of about a two week period of time to rip about 500 CDs. It is not something that will occur overnight. I think the time was very well spent given the benefits.
I guess the quantity of people shedding all their CDs and going to ITunes and such has made used CDs virtually worthless.
Previously, I used a 300 disk Pioneer changer. For playback in the changer or the cars, I made copies because I was concerned about the originals getting scratched. I had loaded perhaps 200 disks in the changer. It was certainly better than one disk at a time, but the physical gyrations required to change disks significantly limited its usefulness.
My "player" is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch which allows for using your smart phone as the remote. I really cannot convey to you how incredibly powerful and enjoyable music servers are. Since the server itself is a desktop unit located far away from the vintage system, I use Wi-Fi connectivity which is less desirable than using network cable, but I use an aftermarket linear power supply to reduce the noise. One of these days, I'll adapt the main system to computer playback as well.
What I haven't done yet is "rip" my vinyl. I've done a few albums, but the task is a bit more time consuming because you must break the capture of a side into the various tracks AND manually enter the tagging metadata. Someday, I would like to do it. The biggest challenge for me is parking a computer near the main system for an extended period of time. I have a laptop but its onboard sound card doesn't support a stereo line feed.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Changing Times - tbcblues 08:28:19 08/03/12 (23)
- Yup I imagine thats the case in densely populated areas - 2chJunkie 09:20:19 08/03/12 (15)
- RE: Yup I imagine thats the case in densely populated areas - Crazy Dave 10:20:41 08/03/12 (14)
- Id say that sums up almost every market today... - 2chJunkie 10:33:04 08/03/12 (13)
- RE: Id say that sums up almost every market today... - Crazy Dave 11:50:41 08/03/12 (12)
- Just FTR - 2chJunkie 16:47:32 08/03/12 (11)
- RE: Just FTR - Crazy Dave 10:40:15 08/06/12 (10)
- Sure but whos fault is that? This is more philosophical now... - 2chJunkie 11:07:06 08/07/12 (9)
- RE: Sure but whos fault is that? This is more philosophical now... - Crazy Dave 15:35:51 08/07/12 (5)
- Glad you liked the clip... had a nice haul at my local CD shop last night - 2chJunkie 06:38:45 08/08/12 (4)
- RE: Glad you liked the clip... had a nice haul at my local CD shop last night - Crazy Dave 08:17:41 08/08/12 (3)
- RE: Sure but whos fault is that? This is more philosophical now... - StylinLP 13:26:38 08/07/12 (2)
- RE: Sure but whos fault is that? This is more philosophical now... - Neff 13:59:21 08/07/12 (1)
- Great rock still exists. You gotta look for it nowadays IMO... see - 2chJunkie 14:20:02 08/07/12 (0)
- RE: Changing Times - E-Stat 09:11:34 08/03/12 (6)
- How long did it take you? - ToddM 11:17:41 08/03/12 (5)