Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: BTW- Vintage Power Amp with Passive Pre

I'm surprised by that Sony CDP's 1100 Ω O/P impedance. Under 1 KOhm is what's appropriate into the IHF "standard" load that all commercial products are supposed to be capable of driving. Perhaps the slogan should be: Sony, a lot of baloney. ;>) The company has gone downhill, since Morita died. :>(

It is possible to do a JFET buffer with a unipolar PSU, but caps. in both the I/P and O/P circuitry are needed. With their capability for self bias, JFETs, depletion mode MOSFETs, and tubes can have DC coupling on the I/P side of a voltage follower setup, if a bipolar PSU is used.

FWIW. I would use a buffered volume control in combination with a Sony TA-3200F power amp. I believe strongly in adhering to the 1:10 impedance rule. A 10 KOhm passive setup would work, provided VERY low capacitance cabling (as in extremely short, braided, and unshielded) is used between the control and the power amp. Why handcuff yourself?

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.