Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

So, the crackly noises are now gone ?

But, the volume is flaky low ? Well, if the cutout and noises got better, and only the volume is the culprit now, then you might have to find a better way to clean the volume control.

Many volume controls are really sealed, making it difficult to get any cleaner inside. If so, then you can try a small, shallow cut drill hole to allow the cleaner to get inside. Which cleaner did you use ? Please do not use any cleaner that claims it has a lubricant, as in a residue left behind. The most acclaimed cleaners are by Caig; their Deoxit stuff is great.

Two less expensive cleaners, that may get inside, without drilling, are a silicon spray that is noted as "safe on plastics" or the rubbing alcohol that is 90% isopropyl and 10% distilled water. If the alcohol can get inside, the alcohol will let you know the volume control is the culprit. You need to let it dry a while, after fiddling with the control after application,because the alc is conductive and might cause strange howling noises. The safe on plastic silicon is not conductive, but simply a great cleaner. I have tried the Liquid Wrench brand of safe on plastic Silicon spray, found at many auto supply stores, with amazing results.

Best of luck with the resto...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.