Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Listened to a pair of JBL C-34's and amazed how little we have progressed in 60 years!!

Wayne Henderson, of Rugby, Virginia, builds guitars by hand, compared to Taylor Guitars who use Fadal machines. Both build some of the finest examples of guitars that are built today and have ever been made, for that matter. The majority of Wayne's tooling used is a 4 inch pocket knife compared to Taylor's use of expensive automated CNC equipment. Some say that Wayne is in the dark ages and Taylor is the best manufacturer of guitars on the planet today. Pick up either guitar and you can't find fault in them. In this case the old technology allows one guitar to be made over a period of months whereas Taylor makes an average of 500 plus per day. Neither is inherently better. I think that execution is what matters. The execution of the designer of the vintage speaker that stands up today is what allows these designs to stand up today. Some of the old designs are based on textbook designs and many are not, and we should not presume that these old designs are not advanced beyond what a hobbyist can do. Just because they didn't use computers and modeling back then it does not mean that these people were limited in their expertise at designing a good loudspeaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.