Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Clearly the materials have changed, however...

to discredit the advances in crossover design and enclosure alignments seems hard to justify. I've been building speakers for over 30 years and started with the classic text books on the subject that really didn't get much beyond standard filter theory. Later I advanced to some simple modeling spreadsheets that took into consideration inductance and now modern tools allow for modeling based upon actual measured driver impedance sweeps and FR response.

While I have a great deal of respect and admiration for all classic audio and have heard many very fine sounding vintage speakers, even many of the best vintage speakers have shortcomings that could have been easily addressed by modeling the system during development. Clearly the very best vintage designs are still some of the best sounding speakers ever developed, but those are few and far between and all can be directly attributable to designers who knew how to listen to music. And that still holds true with today’s speakers as well.

One thing I've always done before passing judgment on a speaker is making sure that I listen to a wide variety of music. I find that many speakers’ sound great playing things like Diana Krall or Dire Straits but then they sound quite challenged when I play some Shostakovich or Beethoven.

I briefly owned C40 Harkness a number of years ago. They sounded great playing The Curly Shuffle and Bob Marley, but were pretty much unlistenable with orchestral music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.