Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

At the risk of being flamed...

I've never heard a pair of JBLs that I cared for. I not saying I've heard all of them but the ones I heard all had the same basic house sound. And I'll avoid my description of that since if will only inflame the JBL folks.

I think that if anything has progressed over the last 60 years, speakers have. There is a much better understanding as to what parameters effect what type of sound qualities and the days of build and try have been replaced by the use of computers and a bunch of formulas. It still requires someone who knows what they are doing but the knowledge base is definately deep and more commonly known.

It benefits all of us that speakers are so much better understood now. Whether you like the more accurate speakers is up to you. I don't like them all but I have to admit that there are substantially more great speakers now than in any past decade. And I do realize that that is also a flame inviter but this one is easier to look into.

The old days of nasal sounding box speakers are greatfully past and what caused dynamic drivers to suck are now designed out of newer drivers. For the record I don't care for box speakers, mostly due to the old bad days of boxey sounding crap, but I readily surrender that newer speakers are distinctly less boxey sounding and many more of them sound as transparent and boxless as some of the best old designs.

Now to defend myself, I am not saying there were never any good vintage designs. What I am saying is that due to engineering understanding the magical few are now much more common. Maybe thats not a good thing but a lot of very inexpensive box speakers perform awfully well. Something has to be going right.

Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.