Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I can't recall a Maggie model...

That did not require at least 100 w/ch to get them to sing. I have owned Maggies for over 30 years now and they are not for everybody but those who love them stick with them for life.

I don't recall where I read it but the fact is that there are precious few makes of any high end gear that has a following like Maggies do. What they do very well is to throw a musical image into a room like few other speakers can even dream of doing (as if speakers can dream...but I think you get my drift).

The down side to Maggies is that they require a lot of power and have a relatively small sweet spot where the imaging is focused. The latest versions of the MG 1.x series (MG 1.7), the MG 3.x series (MG 3.7 and MG 20.X series (MG 20.7) are reported to be the best of these speakers by a very large margin.

Depending on the model of Maggie you have they could be of some interest to collectors. The Magnepan full length ribbon driver is one of the best ever produced by any manufacturer and the bass driver from the old Typani series has never been equalled in its ability to produce clean musical bass. Not the bloated crap that dynamic drivers produce but really well controlled deep and controlled bass that sounds like the musical instrument producing those deep notes.

The Typani did this better than any speaker and the newer Magnepan subwoofers are an attempt to utilize that technology in something more practical for a large number of users.

The Typani speakers were very large and needed a lot of space and power so few people could appreciate them for what they could do.

Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.