Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Would you care to provide a bit more info?

I've been familiar with them for over thirty years. Hearing tri-amped Tympani IIIs in 1974 immediately turned me into a planar fan. I owned MG-IIs a few years later and was able to achieve quite loud levels with a 100 watt per channel Audire amplifier. How much power are you using?

If you're not sure of the model. the Planar Forum, aka MUG (Magnepan Users Group) has a wealth of information about them to assist identifying your model. Below is a link to a master listing of their models with specifications, dimensions and in most cases, a picture. Perhaps that can help.

But I am interested in how they would sound if pushed correctly or if they need some work because of the way they are acting.

How can they sound? Absolutely spectacular, if driven right. I've had the good fortune of hearing 20.1s and 3.7s in Harry Pearson's systems. It's true that you really need a couple hundred watts with the larger models for optimum use. That kind of power, however, is pretty easy to come by today.

Just like Advent woofer surrounds need refoaming after decades of use, Maggies need to be "re-laminated". The longitudinally oriented "voice coil" wires separate from the mylar panel. Magnepan can repair them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Would you care to provide a bit more info? - E-Stat 09:04:05 04/06/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.