Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Altec Flamenco's - Trumpets sound thin

I think Tom nailed it - you just don't find the 811's presentation of timbre for upper brass appealing. I hear the same thing with them.

Updating the compression driver to a later manufacture version with a "tangerine" phase plug will probably help some - but might not, or not enough. Model 19 compensated crossover may help, it was a big step up for Altec. Damping the horn maybe makes a subtle difference. None of these will change the 811's character. Your ears are probably objecting to internal reflections inside the horn (others may disagree).

I could be happy with 811's - they get 99% of it right. I nearly bought Flamenco's, the guy just wanted too much for them. I ended up with round tractrix horns - they get the timbre right - for me. At the expense of other things (more narrow sweet spot).

It's all about compromises, and it all depends on what YOU are listening for.

btw, leave the bug screens in, here in farm country I watched an oriental labybug crawl up one of my horns, while playing at LOUD level.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Altec Flamenco's - Trumpets sound thin - bean 08:49:08 03/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.