Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Altec Flamenco's - Trumpets sound thin

It could simply be the nature of the speaker doesn't please you on trumpets. I used various Altecs for a long time and found that most tweaks (those that actually did something, many don't) were more useful in extending the range of the speaker on either end than in changing it's midrange and basic nature.

IME&O cutting out the bug screens doesn't do a damned thing and I think people do it for the same reason a dog licks his balls: because they're able to.

The 811 horn is easily damped by putting non hardening modeling clay inside the upper and lower "lips" outside the flange. But while this reduces ringing of an unmounted horn struck with a hammer I'm skeptical it has meaningful effect on a horn solidly mounted to a baffle and excited only by the sound moving through it, not a hammer strike. But the damping can't hurt so why not?

IMO the best thing you can do is build a Model 19 type compensated crossover which incorporates EQ to extend the highs considerably. Some people think this lessens midrange "shout" and it certainly adds a little sparkle.

Edits: 03/25/12 03/25/12 03/25/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.