Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Interesting review

AD damned it with faint praise. And frankly I am surprised at how well he found it to sound with just about all original parts. AD is not only no dummy but he is acutely aware of the need to restore old equipment before safe use can be assumed. Do you think he would trust his records to an unrestored TD124 or 301/401 ? So for him to review the amp as-is was a bit disingenuous at best. I think the amp in question was only in his hands for a few days before being sent to the owner....who later sold it on Ebay.

Funny thing is, SP has reviewed restored vintage pieces. The Eico HF81 was fully restored before testing. The PS and line stages were restored in the 500c, though the phono stage was not. The Advent review was a train wreck from day 1 due to all of the mistakes. Heck, I still want to read Peter Brueniger's article on the AR3a speakers. It was supposed to have been published in SP more than 2yrs ago, then in TAS when he moved there, now who knows.

I am among those who believe that properly restored vintage amps represent great sonic value. Heck I use vintage amps on a regular basis- current a pr of updated Heath W4 monoblocks.

Best,

Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Interesting review - Ross 20:33:52 02/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.