Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Marantz 8B In Stereophile

Hi, rosendds:

I still own four of thes amplifiers and have owned most of them for the better part of thrity plus years. I would never think about running one in original, untouched condition for obvious reasons. Can you say "holy expensive smoke"?

One thing that I do know is that a properly restored 8-B is one of the sweetest sounding stereo power amplifiers ever built. Yes, it is a good idea to update the seleniums, remove and replace coupling caps and also two of the under-the-chassis electrolytics and several smaller ones. Substituting some resistors here and there is also a good recommendation.

How many of you have seen charts of total harmonic distortion with a fresh pair of tubes in a restored unit versus one which had original component parts? It is more than an obvious difference, that is, measurably-lowered distortion.

Of course, once you have gone in there and done such updates, your unit is going to be worth LESS than one without (an insane situation, if you ask me personally). I paid real money in 1980 for one ($225 then), got one at a rummage sale for $25 in 1981, purchased another one from an ad around 1982 (another $225 purchase) and was GIVEN ONE for nothing in the nineties. The rest is history.

They are capable of utterly musical sound reproduction and a fairly excellent rendering of depth and width, given proper source material through an appropriate preamplifier, etc.

And, how many of you have actually experienced listening to a restored pair, strapped as monoblocks and running "triode-connected"? I have.

Outstanding sound reproduction and an expensive way to run up your power bill.

Happy listening!
Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.