Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

That unit is pretty old and...

You should recap it. If its the same as a SX-737 there are also a lot of wire wrap terminals in that receiver. Oxidation can play a major part in failure in these receivers. If you are going to do the recapping yourself you should consider soldering those wire wrap terminals.

Minor build up of oxidation on the wire wrap terminals seems like a small issue but if you consider the number of wire wrap connections, the oxidation is a big player in failure in these units.

I have a SX-737 that still works but the tuner is also not what it should be and the PS caps are starting to leak. I am certain that the electrolytics in my SX-737 are out of tolerance or on the point of failure. I have the unit on a shelf awaiting recapping and soldering of the wire wrap connections.

Your SX-727 is older than my SX-737 and should need recapping. Following the recapping and fixing the wire wrap connections you will then have to have the tuner aligned.

Sorry there isn't any good news here,
Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.