Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The Rola is reading 4 ohm...odd

Some of what you guys are saying doesn't hold water. Utah manufactured the cabinets for Allied and supplied the drivers. If there is a 4 ohm Rola in one it is there as a replacement for the correct Utah woofer. The Rola may be a speaker the owner picked up used with the same diameter after one of the Utah woofers was damaged.These would not have been manufactured with a 4-ohm driver and an 8-ohm driver. They knew better than that in 1964.

I like the Utah date of '64. That would mean these were sold 64-65, about my guess. I know the 3005 number is earlier than my 69 Allied catalog.

The cabinet design screams Utah. Its very similar to my Utah MK 17 units tho the finish is lighter. Mine date from 1970. The grille cloth dates these to well before 1970, like 1964 or 65.

Utah paired a large 8 inch mid with the 12 inch woofer, but generally used 6 inch mids like those you see with a 10 inch woofer. THe tweeter too is classic Utah.

Allied merged with Radio Shak in 1970, and they did not sell Allied-Branded items after about 1972, so these definitely were not made in 1974.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.