Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: BIC 960 Turntable

I like your knowledge of these machines. How do you happen to know them so well?

As I wrote, the kit machine walked in in the hands of a woman customer who said that she'd put it together. It was a 900-type design, not one of the late models that were difficult to service. I'm in California, and the customer said that she'd bought it at the other end of the US; I recall her saying "Boston." This was 25 years ago, and memory is a little dim. Now, you're getting me interested in turning out one of these machines to work nicely. I know where I can get my hands on a 980 (scheme, plot). But a Rek-O-Kut, this ain't.

By the way, I never had to replace a belt in one of these. I've seen black belts, but mostly reddish-brown silicon rubber that's been vary stable. The presence of replacement belts in the old belt catalogs indicates that some poeple's belts had been dying. Sure enough, a friend of mine n the hot deep American south reported that in his region, the BIC belts self-destructed. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, with a more temperate climage, and this difference in ambient temperature may explain our different experiences with the same belts.
Richard Steinfeld

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BIC 960 Turntable - Richard Steinfeld 01:02:57 12/30/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.