Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I've listened to the AR2ax speakers with old caps and now with new caps

and the pots by-passed, they sounded wonderful before the change and still sound wonderful, BUT before and after I've heard a "hootiness" in certain music. I don't hear anything that indicates that the drivers aren't hooked up (that I tore the wires loose when stuffing them), and it is rather unusual for me to hear that discrepancy.

Male vocals, especially, seem to have that hooty or boxy sound.

I read a bit about placement and some AR owners spoke of the same sort of anomaly until they found the right placing for the speakers. I'm stuck between a wall and a pellet stove.

The room is the second and larger room in my basement, the listening room is on one side of the basement, the "office" is on the other, separated by doubled sheets of dry wall. The "office" is about 40' long X 16' wide.

The speakers are about 20" from the back (long) wall. The left is about 8' from a wall that's on that side of the room (the furnace room); the right speaker sits pretty much out in the open, a pellet stove about 2' away.

!!! I think I just heard the reason!

I turned to look (the speakers are behind me as I sit at the computer) at the right speaker and heard a sax note all but beam at me from between the speaker and the pellet stove!

I'm going to pull the speakers out further, past the stove and see if that's the reason.

It may not be any problem at all other than that, I have to admit I don't sit in the couch in front of the speakers very often; it may sound perfect if sitting there (the coffee table in front is ONE of my work benches).

Anyway, wanted to brain-storm about placement; if you have any ideas, I'd be thankful for your help. If I haven't been clear enough with how the room is set up, let me know.

Music. Window or mirror?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - I've listened to the AR2ax speakers with old caps and now with new caps - Muzikmike 11:06:29 08/06/10 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.