Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: My favorite line in the article is...

A little off the subject of the thread; but a couple of use spent some time at a friend's place who had 2 pair of Bozak 302's and some Magneplanars. One pair of the Bozaks had the Pat Tobin T pad on the tweeters, and the other was 1963 vintage and stock condition - never opened.

The Bozaks were driven off a restored and recapped Dyna ST70, and the Magneplanars off their own system which the owner had selected through trial and error. We also measured the far field response of both systems using my 61 band RTA. The Bozaks obviously had better and deeper bass. The Bozaks were also more listenable and had a smooth overall slope downward from the bass to the extreme highs. The Magneplanars had some bass, and had a rather flatter and smoother response Both pair of Bozaks sounded essentially the same; but when stacked and run in parallel were really nice and even smoother; although the downward slope was still there.

Nice as the Maggies were, I'd take the Bozaks (single or stacked) for long term speakers to live with.

Bottom line here is that I think the Advents have the same type of long term honesty and listenability as the Bozaks.

Neither the Bozak 302 or the Advent will do all that well on the "audiophile checklist" (read a review and see the minutia they focus on); but listened to holistically, they both do very well and don't wear out their welcome after a short time.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My favorite line in the article is... - Bold Eagle 18:38:28 04/18/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.