Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Looks like someone just replaced

The New Advent woofer is electrically and acoutically interchangeable with the Masonite ring type. The outline of the woofer frame and hole pattern is also the same. One big difference is the size of the mounting hole. Original Masonite ring woofers require a larger mounting hole than the later New Advent type. So New Advent woofers can be mounted in an original Advent cabinet (with a little extra attention to sealing it to the cabinet); but putting a masonite ring woofer into a new Advent cabinet requires opening up the mounting hole.

Cone are the same or very close in the two, and they use the same foam surround; but inverted in the New Advent. The New Advent version is beefed up a bit to have higher power handling and uses higher temperature epoxy in the voice coil.

I have both types and have installed a New Advent woofer in an original cabinet. The sound was very close; but not quite identical, and the in-box resonant frequency was a few cycles lower at 39 Hz instead of the 41-42 Hz of the original type.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.