Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: harman/kardon model 75+ ???

The HK 75+ was the predecessor to the 800+ model of quad receiver. The 900+ was the top-of-the-line model. All three had the "joystick" sound-field balance control. Although I am not sure what the 75+ specs were, it was LIKELY around 22 WPC into 4 channels driven, since the 800+ was 25 wpc into 4 channels driven, BUT the 800+ could be strapped(switch is on rear)to provide 80 wpc in the stereo mode, just as the 900+, with its 32 wpc into 4 channels, could be strapped to provide 90 wpc in the stereo mode. Both the 800+ and the 900+ had built-in CD-4 demodulators, and SQ matrixing...something seen in very few of the quad receivers of that time...most having the need for an outboard CD-4 demodulator. I would assume, but cannot guarantee, that the 75+ also had these features, and that it was "strappable" to provide 75 wpc in the stereo mode. I would also assume that the 75+ had the same array of controls on its face as the 800+...the 900+ having a few more controls and switches(a midrange control knob,in addition to its bass and treble knobs shared with the 800+...AND it also had speaker switching for speakers "A"-front, "A"-rear, speakers "B"-front, "B"-rear, whereas the 800+ had only switching for speakers "A" and for speakers "B"...although both of these sets of speakers were for FOUR speakers)...both of these receivers also had switching for "contour", hi-cut, low-cut, and knob selections for a unique to H/K setting called "enhanced stereo", which was a simulation of 4-channel derived from two channel sources to give a simulated surround effect...and it sounded really good, too!

These quad units were very heavily built to last and were top-of-the-line quad units of their day!! They incorporated much of the "twin-power" design of their stereo counterparts in the H/K stereo receiver line of that time. H/K, unlike some of the makers of quad units of that time, also provided inputs for Discrete(quad) FM/aux 1...something that never really materialized, but at least they were thinking ahead!! I have been a proud owner of a 900+ since 1975...and recently aquired an 800+ in excellent condition...they both sound almost magical for units over a quarter of a century old!! They can easily rival or exceed performance of many expensive units being made today...and can even be used to provide 4-channel surround for movies through their aux inputs, which I have been doing for a number of years!! Another advantage they have is being able to play two tape sources or CD players in stereo at the same time by running one source into front tape or auxillary and another into rear tape or auxillary, which allows using the "joystick" and volume control to control the volume of two sets of stereo speakers in two different locations...AND, if you so choose, you can run two sets of speakers in TWO rooms from one source while running two sets of speakers in two other rooms from the second source!!...by using speakers "A" AND speakers "B"!!! All from just one receiver!!! This is great for many uses!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.