Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Question on some old gear (McIntosh)

Hi, Oltraver:

I simply had to comment here:

Any working MC-240 with a cage, even in the stated condition with the updates you mentioned, would bring $700 alone, if offered these days. I have found that if you are very careful, you can clean rust off an otherwise messy chassis with a product called TR-3 auto glaze. You should be able to find this product in most good Auto supply stores, though I have not purchased any in years now. This product is superb on chromed surface cleanings.

As for the rest of the gear, considering what you described, $700 for it all is NOTHING, as offers go these days.

I have seen beat up MC-240s show up in local flea markets whith asking prices of $1400 and those are without a cage and the lettering is usually damaged by deep cleaning with Windex, etc. These sellers simply get their pricing from eBay, of course, never mind whether the unit meets spec.

Mind you, without seeing their actual condition, it would be rather foolish to accept only $700 for them all.

Just check around and draw your own conclusions.

Incidentally, noisy pots on any McIntosh gear is usually remedied with proper cleaning with DeOxiT and/or other cleaners made by Caig Labs.

The good folks from McIntosh Labs used such products years ago at their dealer-sponsored Performance Clinics and I saw dozens of preamps and power amps having their controls routinely and thoroughly cleaned by the Mac Techs.

The rocker switches on the C-11 and C-22 and also on MX-110 tuner-preamps always needed intervention of that sort. Every Mac owner got to expect that they would need it sooner or later. Free service at these Performance Clinics was an absolute JOY in the good old days, you know!

Hey, they used to toss out your weak output tubes and slap in fresh factory ones for FREE in the good old days and this was long after they stopped manufacturing tube gear.

Ah, the days of the glorious past!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Question on some old gear (McIntosh) - Marantzguy 11:06:34 07/31/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.