Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Question on some old gear (McIntosh)

I was recently offered $700 for this lot of gear. What do you guys think? I don't want to get ripped off, but I also never use this gear anymore. It would be nice to get as much as I can for it to sink into a decent turntable.

McIntosh MC240 amp. Has the cage. It's a bit beat up and a bit rusty, lettering is mostly gone. I'd give it a 4/10 appearance wise. Sounds perfect. My father was original owner, I have photocopied manuals, all service records from the 60s on, and original sales receipt. Tubes have been replaced twice. The current one's are nothing special (or so says the guy wanting to buy it.) Has had main caps replaced by Brier Sound Center in San Diego (authorized Mcintosh center) and one of the output RCA jacks and thermistor was replaced also.

MR71 tuner that doesn't tune anything in, all controls work, light up, etc. It's a 6/10 cosmetically. Have receipts from original purchase.

C26 Preamp, that looks great 7/10 (new glass), but has 2 noisy pots and 1 static-ey pots. Also, headphone jack only works out of one channel. Everything else is nominal. Was serviced about 10 years ago (have receipts.)

MR71 and C26 have panlocs and are in cabinets I made myself. Not incredible looking but nice.

Am I getting ripped off? Any advice would be appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Question on some old gear (McIntosh) - Oltraver 10:37:08 07/31/08 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.