Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nakamichi PA5 and PA7, opinions

I have played with subwoofers myself and for the reasons you have stated, I prefer biamp setups like the ADS 1290 etc. At our store, we did get a Velodyne UDL 15 to work with Acoustats 2+2, but you had to cross it very low and there still was some transition. Still, Saint-Saens Organ sounded quite impressive.

The Rodgers LS35A was quite a good speaker and even with it's anemic base, could make a good showing for itself. I also liked the hopped up Jim Rodgers version, the JR 149. JR had a matching sub that did a better job than most integrating. You still had some of the same problems so it still may not be enough for you.

I got an M&K sub very cheap ($30) so I am going to give it a try with my BC-1's, but I am skeptical. If it doesn't work, it will go to my planned home theater setup with all vintage speakers! I never heard the Satterbergs.

At my age, I have a lot of friends who would like a brand new cartilage. I had quite a few customers ask for an eek-alizer! I am with Alex in A Clockwork Orange. All Beethoven's symponies are erotica! I am not sure that I'd want to see a "tangenital" tonearm.

B&O was sexy equipment though. You take a B&O setup, a bottle of wine and pretty girl and you might wind up with a tangenital tonearm!

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.