Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Onkyo A-8190 pre-outs?

Thanks for the great info, Jerry! I acquired this amp a few months ago, but didn't really set it up and listen seriously until yesterday. I've read all your posts on this amp (a major reason why I got it), and I must say that I agree with your assessment. The sound is both powerful and very clean.......and the thing appears to be extremely well-built. I'm using it with a pair of AR2ax (pre-1970, cloth surrounds, orange tweeter) with your resistor tweak as well, and am very pleased with the sound. Concerning the resistor tweak, I did a side-by-side with the 1/2 ohm resistor on one speaker only. The speaker without the resistor, while seeming to have a bit more detail in the upper midrange/lower treble, sounded a bit thin and it seemed as if there was a major depression somewhere in the upper bass/lower midrange output. The speaker with the resistor exhibited (to my old ears, at least) a smoother and more balanced frequency response.....the bass seemed a trifle deeper, and the sound was much fuller and richer, albeit at the expense of some detail. But a very slight boost at 7 khz on the equalizer took care of that. Hey, what can I say..........I'm not a purist.
Today I'll be hooking up a pair of AR3a's to see if there's any difference between the A-8190 and a Carver Receiver @ 130 watts per side that I've been using. The Carver, while clean sounding, does impart a rather lean quality to the sound that I'm hoping the Onkyo will alleviate.
And if I get the urge, I'll try it with a pair of stacked Large Advents.
Thanks for your knowledge and all your help on this site, it's much appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.