Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Onkyo A-8190 pre-outs?

I have an A-8190 and the service manual with the schematic, so I can answer your question.

Those aren't really pre outs! Regardless of the labelling. What they are is the power amp output run through a voltage divider to bring the voltages back down to line level, as if it were a true preamp output.

As to use, it would be useful to drive a powered sub with a built in low pass filter, while the A-8190 power amp drives a full range speaker that's a little shy in the low bass. Otherwise, it's pretty useless.

The actual preamp on the A-8190 has a 100% passive line stage, including the tone controls, so it's very clean. The phono preamp is active, as it must be.

If you look through the grill in the cover, you'll see what looks like two power transformers. The one nearest the back is the tranny, the front one is an "true-phase" transformer and seems to be there to correct the power factor of the AC output from the main transformer.

It's a great integrated amp with the right speakers. The A-8190 is the model where Onkyo used all of their tricks.

I did change the speaker output connectors on mine to real 5-way binding posts on 3/4" centers. The ones Onkyo used only look like 5-ways and aren't on 3/4" centers. But that doesn't matter, because they won't accept dual banana plugs. Still sounds good though.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.