Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Talking trash, Criterion speakers

I just came across this thread while trolling for Lafayette speaker info. My buddy popped for a modest system from Lafayette back in '73 and used it for well over a decade. I always preferred them to Rat Shack for all my electronic needs (the parts and equipment they sold were superior in quality). What was said about the speakers though was true, at least for the more 'expensive' models. My friends cheapo set were fairly respectable but a few years later I bought a pair of the Criterion 2005's with the Heil "PowerRing" air motion transformer. These were actually glowingly reviewed by High Fidelity magazine in the mid seventies and I didn't have enough money to buy the ESS AMT Towers with a nice t-line enclosure and full-sized amt so I thought I would go for the 2005's because they were supposedly built by ESS for Lafayette (must have been built with contempt!). Well the "PowerRing" in the right speaker failed after about a week later and the store had to order a new one which took about six weeks and then it was made differently and didn't quite fit right in the cabinet. And this speaker just had the most lackluster sound in my room and no bass at all what to speak of. It had the same fairly crappy 10" woofer in a cheap ported box like the original ESS AMT-1. Well, later I removed the PowerRings and installed them in a small cabinet to go on top of a demo pair of EV Interface B speakers I picked up for cheap at a local stereo shop. The higher x-over freq in the EV worked better for the little amts and I was happy...for a time.

So that is my 'Criterion' story. I sort of miss Lafayette and wish they had beat-out Rat Shack. Some of their speakers weren't too bad but AVOID those 2005's like the plague!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Talking trash, Criterion speakers - nexussynth 16:03:32 05/13/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.