Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: I'd suggest you....

My suggestion would be to hook it up and run it for a time. 1st impressions should be discounted - good or bad. If underwhelming, have your local tech check it out and document what needs to be done. As an alternative, ship it to Mc; their repair department prices are more reasonable than you'd think. The 29 is a rather good preamp and as it moves a bit away from the tube voicing of the earlier Mc preamps is more in line with today's expectations. Also having a lower noise threshold over a stock 28, it overcame 1 of the more legit complaints about the 28. The 28 with a little work can still be with the best of them today but the 29 corrected some of the 28s design and production engineering issues. It's only area where the 28 is better out of the box is the phono preamp. I could have lived as easily with a C29/MC2205 combo that replaced the C28/MC2105 pairing. The 29 is young enough where the caps may still be good though it is in the age range where they should be looked at.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'd suggest you.... - Brian Levy 06:35:26 05/13/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.