Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: +1

It really depends on two things, three maybe.
1. The output voltage and current rating of the PT.
2. How much power you need vs how much heat you'll put up with.
3. How much it would bother you if it goes up in smoke one day.

There are a lot of stable, easy to build amps with boards already out there or you could build something simple like the DoZ I just finished and not have any board at all. My DoZ is really nice but gets pretty hot so I use it as a tube amp substitute in the fall and winter plus it kills Nelson's Zen IMHO but I'm sure the Nelsonophiles would disagree. No biggy because you could build them both if your PT had the correct output values and see for yourself. Finding a design that uses the same type of output device your heat sink already accepts will make life easier also. I like what I like and the cool thing about DIY is that you can get exactly what you want without having to make compromises. I trust my ears more than anyone else's anyway plus you get the satisfaction of saying "I did that". A lot of DIY stuff goes the "less protection means a shorter signal path" route which I really like so you need to learn to protect the stuff downstream yourself. Anything by Rod Elliot would be a good place to start even though there are plenty of others.
John...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.