Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Adc Speakers

Ah. yes. I don't know what ADC was up to by the '80s, or what if any connection it still had with the ADC that produced the phenominal ADC-1 cartridge and wooden Pritchard tone arm. I got my brother a pair of 303s, which I remember as sounding outstanding for the money-could the year have been around 1966, Brian? ADC also marketed 2 unusual 2-way floor standers, which, like the wooden arm, may have been designed by Pritchard. The speakers' salient design feature was a flat, rectangular woofer made of polystyrene or some other expanded plastic foam. The material technology may have been related to the KEF B139 and IMF woofers of the day. The larger of the 2 ADC models had a radiating area that took up most of the speaker's frontal aspect, and produced a smooth and detailed sound with very deep bass. With a list price of around $300 apiece, however, they were up against some stiff competition from companies with much bigger budgets for marketing and advertising. I remember their intelligently written 1/4-page black-and-white ads in the back of High Fidelity and Stereo Review.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Adc Speakers - Chef Henry 16:51:14 05/06/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.