Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Pioneer SX-727 is driving me nuts!

A common problem I've encountered with every Pioneer of this vintage that has passed through my hands, including two SX-727s, is that the contacts on the protection relay corrode and the signal is lost in at least one channel or at least crackles horribly. I can't explain why, but it's always been the left channel.

With the unit unplugged, pull off the top cover and the perforated metal cage around the finals. The relay will be just about in the center of the chassis. Carefully pull the cover off, watching for the two tabs on each of the long slides. Take a small strip of crocus cloth (abrasive fabric like a high hundreds sand paper), slide it between the contacts and go back and forth until they look shiny again. Try the receiver out to see if that fixed the problem.

Now, lots of other things could be wrong including blown components, broken switches and such, but this is the most common problem I've found after dirty switches.

Good luck,
- JP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.