Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I had one....

the original version, that is. Do a search here and you'll find a number of references to them. They have do have a bit of a bad rap these days as they were built with op amps that were new at the time but now understood not to be that good.

Also the use of then-new tantalum caps is not considered the best use of this component - there are quite a few in much of Crown's product line of the day as well as many other vendors. These will need to be replaced as they become leaky and will cause all sorts of problems during playback.

All that said, Crown achieved a well-deserved reputation for making nearly bullet-proof power amps. Almost all the disco installations in the mid-70s used them mainly because they would tolerate all sorts of abuse. They did have some sales through high end audio salons back then but much more of the DC-300 amps went to traveling bands - I was in one of those, too.

Lastly, they made some of most heavy-duty tape decks, too, as well as a couple of electrostatic speakers. All were _very_ expensive and out of the range for a college student/musician like me. So their product line was broad at their peak.....

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I had one.... - doodlebug 20:05:58 06/15/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.