Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Mass Market gear, then versus now

There has always been mass market gear directed toward a relatively unsophisticated general public. And true audio lovers (component stereo guys) have always to a certain degree scorned it and made fun of those who buy it. Nothing has changed in that regard, but I thought a comparison of what $100 buys then versus now in the mass market goods is interesting. A key feature of this gear is that it combines a lot of different functions. What these functions are depends on the technology of the day and what the public is doing at the moment.

Then: From the 1972 Radio Shack catalog.

Realistic Clarinette II Stereo Phono Compact
FET amplifier
Two acoustically matched 8" speaker systems with ceramic magnets separate 16' for a full curtain of sound
BSR full-size changer plays all size records and shuts off autoimatically
Ceramic cartridge with diamond stylus
Bass, Treble balance and volume controls
Inputs and switches for an optional 8-track or cassette deck
45 RPM adaptor is an extra 99 cents
Custom dust cover is an extra 5.95
Base price is $94 but with the dust cover is 99.95. I guess you still have to pay an extra 99 cents if you have 45 rpm records you want to play
Wattage is not specified but probably 2-3 watts per channel.
No AM/FM tuner--if you want that you need to bump up to the $129 Clarinette III

Now: from the current Best Buy Website.
Insignia 200 watt 5.1 Home theater system model NS-H2001
DVD/CD/MP3 Speaker
5 speakers with 3 inch drivers
1 subwoofer with 5 1/4 inch driver
30 watts to each speaker, 50 watts to the "passive" subwoofer = 200 watta
Dolby 5.1 decoding Digital and Pro Logic
AM/FM digital tuner with 40 presets
Remote control for all functions.
On screen display
Price 99.95 but on sale in some stores this week for 69.95

If you want to exactly match the 69.95 price in 1972 then you have to drop back to the Realistic Clarinette I which has a cheaper BSR mini-changer and lacks features such as the separate bass and treble controls. The speakers in the Clarinette I are 5-inch not 8-inch, and a single simple tone control makes do. The smoked dust cover is "free" but you still have to pay an extra 99 cents for the 45 RPM adaptor.

OK at this point I could talk about what $70 or $100 buys in inflation-adjusted dollars in 1972 then versus now but will only say that $100 in June of 1972 $ is about $500 currently, as the inflation multiplier from then through April of 2007 is 4.956. We COULD be comparing here a $500 1972 system with a current $100 (or $70) system.

Which era would you rather live, then or now?

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Mass Market gear, then versus now - DavidLD 04:57:20 06/12/07 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.